Wednesday, 30 March 2016

March ends well on Mull

You might be forgiven for thinking that Farmer is not doing any farming just now, but it is not the case.  He is as busy as always, but I have not been around when he has been doing photographically interesting things this last few weeks!  He has had all the sheep in and through the fank, including the tups before lunch today, so everything has been checked over and all the ewes have been given a drench against Fluke.  So everything is in place now for lambing - each group of ewes and the gimmers (1st time mums) are in their particular fields, or back on the hill, ready for D day - in about 10 days time!

The turkeys are still here, much to Daughter's dismay.  She is not keen!  I am quite enjoying watching them but I am no closer to understanding what they are about.  The Silver laced Wyandotte doesn't like them, particularly at feeding time, and sees them off.  I was surprised to see these two hens spatting yesterday, all feathers flying, and to see Mr Turkey come in to swipe at them with his powerful wings, which knocked one of the hens into the burn.  She wasn't hurt, and quickly went back to stand her ground with the other hen.

We took an hour to walk the dogs down to the Ensay burn-mouth yesterday afternoon. I wanted to see if the Hebridean Bulb Venture daffodils were out yet, as Farmer was talking about putting the tups into the graveyard field. The only daffodils flowering were the ones inside the Morrison grave plot which is more sheltered than the open field.  The tups will stay out of that field for another week or so. 

It was lovely to see a good clump of Primroses,  at the edge of the wood.

The herons are nesting in the same place as last year, and from the graveyard we had a great view of 2 of them flying and one sitting on the nest at the very top of the same tree!  A long light neck sticking out, it looked quite comical.

Jan and Walter looking as if butter wouldnt melt.

Cap makes for the water as soon as we get to this spot, always ready to retrieve something.  It was too cold for dog swimming, even though it was sunny.

The Croig boat was out lifting creels off shore, it is always good to see them here, especially in calm weather!

Early evening and the light changed, became quite dramatic.

Before bed the camera picked up some colour in the sky though all I could see was stars. 

And at about 2 in the morning, the camera set to click every 10 minutes while I was asleep, picked up this pink cloud which surprised me this morning when I checked the camera. 

A glorious school bus dog walk this morning at Calgary and only one day left in March which appears to be ending well for us... 

eXTReMe Tracker