Tuesday 27 August 2019

Gathering for the lamb sales


It was the most beautiful morning and the gatherers set off at 8am.   Farmer texted me when they got to Port Haunn so I could go and fly the drone as they came up from the shore.   I missed that bit but I will do it next time!  Instead I was able to film them running through the heather.   As I am flying I can hear all the sounds of ewes and lambs calling, Farmer and the others whistling and commanding their dogs, but the drone film is silent!






The guests hadn't arrived for East, Middle and West so I was able to overfly.


What a view of Toechtamhor, with that snaking trail of ewes and lambs disappearing into the distance.



Drying the onions!


Caterpillars have been emerging on the nettles - eating their way out!  I didn't see any on these but we have been finding Knot grass caterpillars on the thistles and Prasad has found Painted lady caterpillars in his garden.


The cows are in the field below the house.  This was the last calf to be born!


Calling for a lamb..


The Knapweed and Devil's bit scabious have been amazing.  Such popular nectar plants at this time in the summer.



Lovely Goldenrod flowering in amongst the scabious.


And one final bloom on the Sea pink.



A white Devil's bit scabious near the boathouse.





The Herdwick lamb faces are getting whiter.


There are 4 sheep in the field beyond Haunn.  Whenever Farmer tries to gather them in to the Haunn field to join them up with the others, they leg it down to the shore.   Where they know he can't get at them.


Early morning light on Shieling wall.






A long day in the fank on Monday sorting out who is being sold and who is staying put.









Job done. 

eXTReMe Tracker